NewsRates Rethink Consultation Paper Published 15.12.2016
Finance Minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir has today published a consultation paper on the package of measures announced on the 22nd November.
This initiates a nine week consultation period, ending on 16 February 2016.
The proposed measures include:
- A new £22million a year Rates Investment Scheme for smaller retail and hospitality business
- Piloting Business Empowerment Zones in two areas (Lower Newtownards and Lower Falls Roads)
- Increasing rates on empty commercial properties
- Charity shops to make a contribution
- Charging the highest value homes more
- Removing the early payment discount
- Reducing landlord allowances
- Student halls of residence to start paying rates
- A 3 year rates holiday for first residents of new energy efficient homes
A link to the consultation is available on the department's website: