NewsRHM Submission on Rates Rethink Consultation 26.1.2017
We have today lodged our comments on various aspects of the consultation – a copy of our submission is attached here.
- We think it is premature to be abolishing Small Business Rates relief (SBRR) and increasing vacant property rates until after Brexit takes place.
- If SBRR is replaced in the future, a new relief should be targeted on vacant properties empty for more than 6 months to encourage new business formation and the occupation of vacant properties.
- The proposed Business Empowerment Zones do not go far enough and need to be rates free for 3 years in order to shift occupier demand and have a strong positive impact.
- Councils should be allowed to vary the level of vacant property rates to reflect local circumstances.
- The rates cap on homes worth over £400,000 should be phased-out over 3 years to mitigate the impact on the housing market and construction sector.
- The Department should investigate innovative ways to undertake a domestic revaluation as quickly, cheaply and fairly as possible.
We encourage everyone affected by the proposals to make their own representations before the Consultation finishes on 16 February 2017.
Click here to download the clipping